Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Garden Stones

Garden Stones...they are lovely, sentimental, and they look fabulous in a garden or landscaping, but they take A LOT of effort to create. Plus, the clean-up involved is ridiculous!

Last year, the kids "helped" me make garden stones (with their handprints) as a Mother's Day gift for my mom. It started out to be a disaster as the cement mixture was too runny and the kids weren't cooperative. I ended up having to buy an extra kit and start all over again. It was a huge, messy project but the stones ended up turning out to be very cute and my mom loved them. Along with the kits for my mom, I had also purchased two more garden stone kits to make for my own landscaping last year. However, since my first attempt was so unpleasant, I was not motivated to partake in that project again. So, the kits ended up sitting in our garage since last spring. I kept saying I needed to make the stones so I could capture the kids' handprints before they became teenagers, but I just did not have the desire to do it....until today! It was a cold, windy day and I was looking for a project to do inside, so I decied on the garden stones....why not? I have had a whole year to recoop and I was finally enthusiastic to try it again. Let's just say that this time around was a huge success....the cement mixture was perfect and the kids cooperated (for the most part) and had fun decorating. I think the stones came out beautifully and I can't wait to put them in our landscaping!


1 comment:

Michelle and Jack said...

I'll send our kids over...give you an hour or two...I want some, too.