Wednesday, December 5, 2007

First Big Snow!

Our first big snow of the winter has just arrived! It's fresh, it's white, it's not too wet... and it's perfect for playing in. Not only is this the first big snow of the winter, but it is Sophie's first "real" experience with snow. I wasn't sure if this would be a positive experience since Sophie is very particular about the way things feel (she hates to touch grass!), but I thought we'd give it a try. After spending about 15 mintues getting Sophie suited up in her coat, snow pants, gloves, boots, hat, hood, etc. (it reminded me of the movie A Christmas Story), we finally ventured out into the snow.



Well, it wasn't a terrible experience, but it wasn't great either. At first, Sophie just stood in one spot in awe of her surroundings. She also seemed very hestitant to move. I think she was afraid of falling, which would mean she would actually have to touch the snow!



Sophie kept insisting that I pick her up and carry her around the yard, then every time I would go to put her down she would cry...good times! After awhile, however, Sophie became more comfortable and actually started to play (cautiously) in the snow and even picked up some snow in her hand (with a little bit of prompting from mommy).





Is that a smile I see???





Well, Sophie did not throw a tantrum when it was time to come in the house, so I would say that she doesn't LOVE the snow quite yet. If she did, she would have wanted to stay outside a lot longer. However, I think that she will grow to love snow (as most kids do) the more we are outside playing in it. Maybe not...she still doesn't like grass!?!

No comments: